Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Sticky Presentations

This semester is my first time teaching a business course and the curriculum was already developed. The students enrolled in this course are responsible for an end of semester paper and presentation on any topic within the textbook. Most of my students are sophomores and juniors and have done a number of presentations for many subjects. The assignment states students have to decide on a topic and begin their research and develop a 7-10 page paper along with 5-7 slides in a PowerPoint presentation . I decided to do something different and be more creative with their presentations. I want my students to, according to Hicks, "craft effective digital writing in the form of presentations" (Hicks, p.61).

In our classroom discussion we talked about the different ways to deliver a presentation and the types of presentations that are available. I explained that when they begin to think about what they are presenting, they need to make clear that the information is remembered and it tells a story. From the text of Crafting Digital Writing textbook, I shared with them the six principles from Chip and Dan Heath's book Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die (2007), (Hicks, p. 62):

  • Keep It Simple
  • Introduce the unexpected
  • Make it concrete
  • See that it's credible
  • Appeal to the emotions
  • Tell a story
Since the chosen topics would come from the textbook, I talked to them about the types of digital writing genres and explained that their presentations would fall under informational writing. Informational writing presentations are mostly presentations used to present details about a chosen topic and with this type, they can be a bit more creative using various digital presentations. All of the students were familiar with the Prezi presentation tool so I decided to create a small slide show to provide them with basic idea and details about presentations. In addition to the slideshow, the last slide has a tutorial video to get students started in creating their presentations.




Hicks, T. (2013). Crafting Digital Writing: Composing Texts Across Media and Genres. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArGh6FurR0Q

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, I love the list of ways to make presentations "stickier" that was presented in the text. This was one of the key ideas that stuck out to me as I was reading and brainstorming for my presentation since I had never really thought about this aspect of presentations. In school, I was never really taught how to craft a digital presentation correctly so this was great information to gain for my professional use. I found a website called "10 simple tips for creating better-looking presentations" that lays out some ways to make a presentation more aesthetically appealing. I think this corresponds well with crafting sticky presentations that you covered since what people see is what will help them remember the information.

    http://blog.podio.com/2014/05/27/10-presentation-tips/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Kailey, I never was taught how to make an effective presentation. PowerPoint was very new at that time and we were mainly worried about the font being large enough or clear enough to read from a distance. Presentations have come a long way since then, and we must teach our students how to make effective ones. That skill will serve them well in life after public school. I found an article that TED posted on their blog that addresses 10 tips for making better slides. One tips is to think of your slides last. I thought this was an interesting tip. The blog post comments that may presentations look like the notes for a presenter. A presentation is meant to enhance your presentation, not to give it for you. I know I fall guilty of this all the time.

    10 tips on how to make slides that communicate your idea, from TED’s in-house expert. (2014, July 15). Retrieved March 11, 2016, from http://blog.ted.com/10-tips-for-better-slide-decks/

    ReplyDelete