Monday, April 4, 2016

Video Resubmission

In thinking about my video resubmission, I wasn't sure if I wanted to edit my initial introduction video or just create a new one. After reviewing the text again, I decided to edit my initial video because it would be more challenging for me to be creative and cause me to consider several options in editing. If I wanted to add music, use graphics, use texts, flip in/ out, etc. Although the same can be considered with creating a new video, I invited the challenge of just editing the existing one.

In his text, Hicks writes there are several considerations when editing digital video:

  • Narration
  • Panning and zooming
  • Repetition
  • Time effects
  • Film effects
  • Transitions
  • Sound effects and music
  • Captions and text
(Hicks 2013 p. 110), as I looked over these, I knew that I was going to edit my introduction video but how was I going to make it different than before. The MAPS heuristic provides writers with ways in which they can craft their digital texts to begin editing their videos. This approach allows us to write out our ideas for creating and develop them with meaning.

My video is considered a personal narrative story that gives details about me. In my initial creation, I wanted to provide the audience with information as to who I am. I also wanted to be creative in the delivery and how it was being presented while at the same time keeping most of the initial elements. In the book DigiTales; The Art of Telling Digital Stories (2005), Bernajean Porter "suggests that we use media elements judiciously, asking whether we are merely decorating our story, illustrating a concept, or illuminating our viewers through the combination of media elements. Digital writers should ask themselves whether the media they are choosing are being used  simply because they can be or whether there is a rhetorical purpose for that use".

As I edited my video, I wanted to decorate my initial introduction video by adding music, cut out some of the details, using text and using transitions. I then wanted to illustrate to others who view my video the different ways you can edit a video, and the variety of options you have when developing. And lastly, I wanted to illuminate the video by showing students to create or craft with multiple effects and engaging texts.






Hicks, T. (2013). Crafting Digital Writing: Composing Texts Across Media and Genres. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.

Porter, B. (2005). DigiTales: The Art of Telling Digital Stories (1st ed.). Denver, CO: bjpconsulting.


2 comments:

  1. "Digital writers should ask themselves whether the media they are choosing are being used simply because they can be or whether there is a rhetorical purpose for that use." I remember reading this quote from the text when writing my blog and a lot of my analysis came from this idea because it is such an important thing to ask when creating any kind of digital text. I think students often want to use all the effects they can to make their presentation more exciting or "better" but it can take away from the information being presented.
    I liked that you added background music and transitions to your video. I had to work on my video a lot because I created a whole new one, but it was a great experience to learn what I will expect of my students if I ever do a project like this in my own classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found an online article about using animations and transitions in PowerPoint presentations that gave the same advice as the I also liked your use of transitions and music in your introduction video. Paradi (2012) states that many organizations have banned the use of transitions, sounds, and animations because they distract and annoy the audience. When we use them correctly, as you did, they enhance a presentation. We have to be cognizant of the usage of these elements and use them appropriately and not just because we can-as you stated in your blog post.

    I have never used the program that you used to create your video. I will definitely have to mention it to my husband. He would probably be interested in using it in his technology class.

    Paradi, D. (2012). Using Animation and Slide Transition Effects on PowerPoint Slides. Retrieved April 07, 2016, from http://www.thinkoutsidetheslide.com/using-animation-and-slide-transition-effects-on-powerpoint-slides/

    ReplyDelete