Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Positive and Negative Experience with online learning

I remember the first time I saw someone doing homework on the computer. It was the year 2002 and a coworker and I were chatting and he kept looking and typing while we were talking. Out of curiosity I asked, "what are you doing on the computer & why do you keep looking back and forth at two different documents?". He replied, "I'm writing a paper". This conversation led to my initial learning on completing a degree online. I was surprised, shocked and in disbelief. How can this be possible? People can actually obtain a degree, learning, studying, writing papers, etc. just on the computer? No way.......and in 2008 I became a Phoenix by earning my Masters in Business Administration from the University of Phoenix.

"We Rise"
It's amazing how we've evolved since that time and grown into this technologically advanced society where everything can be acquired at the touch of a button, or from our phones to our cars. We've also witnessed these advancements within education and how it continues to grow and become more accessible in the classroom.


My experience  with distance education has been positive. It has afforded me the flexibility to be an online learner and learn anywhere at anytime and with flexibility. The text defines distance education as "institution based, formal education where the learning group is separated, and where interactive telecommunications systems are used to connect learners, resources, and instructors" (Schlosser & Simonson, 2009, p. 1). At the time that I became an online student, I'm not certain if there was a definition for distance education, however the term online was used to describe those students who were learning online. Simonson, Smaldino & Zvacek write in the text "On-line Learning/ On-Line Education is the common distance education term used in higher education" (2015, p. 33). Since my experience of completing my MBA degeree, whenever there is a training opportunity or course that is offered, I always ask if there is an online offering. My preference is now to conduct any learning experience to an online format.

I haven't had any negative online learning experiences. Over the years as I have completed so many training's, teaching online courses, obtaining an online degree from various entities, that the positive experiences outweigh any negative. I can note that there are a few challenges that can occur that can be quite frustrating and cumbersome such as:

  • tech issues
  • limited accessibility to internet
  • no WiFi connection
  • power outages
  • damaged laptop
  • no textbook, etc.
  • posture/ back issues
Many of these challenges can cause a negative impact on your online learning experience and can result in a delay in completion of assignments. Take a look at this video produced by students on the advantages and challenges of online learning:


Taking a walk down memory lane, remembering how I first came to learn about online learning or distance education, and how much I have accomplished over the years with acquiring degrees, training, even teaching online courses, I am truly amazed at how far advanced it has become. Looking at how dependent we have become on technology and not even thinking about challenges that may arise when we are using our many devices. Online education will continue to evolve and become more advanced and I'm hoping to continue to learn and be able to apply and teach others all the knowledge I have gained in order to keep up with the advancements. My hope is to continue to evaluate, research and be able to share my positive and negative experiences to assist someone else along their online/ distance education journey.





2 comments:

  1. Jessica, I completely agree that from the student side of distant learning ... technical difficulties are one of the top barriers. Simonson, Smaldino, and Zvacek (2015) stated the number one barrier to distant education for trainers and teachers included the increased amount of time needed to make the online learning effective. I would also think that trainers and teachers of online classes would be frustrated with the technical glitches they encounter too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is amazing how education has changed. Especially when adding technology to the mix and moving from a traditional classroom to a distance education class. I think about all the students that I teach now who could benefit from distance education or being able to enroll in online courses that are better suited for their needs. Simonson, Smaldino, and Zvacek (2015) describe how they see future classrooms as ones that "will be rich in technology and will continue to have teachers who are responsible for the learning events that occur" (p. 22). I know that this is only the beginning.

    Simonson, M. R., Smaldino, S. E., & Zvacek, S. (2015). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education. Charlotte, NC: IAP, Information Age Publishing.

    ReplyDelete