Friday, July 13, 2018

Good training vs bad training

Image result for training professional development word cloud
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-illustration/word-cloud-coaching-168764456

Reflecting on many occasions that I've spent in a training session or a professional development conference, there were some that I absolutely loved and those that were a complete waste of my time. Certainly many of you have experienced the same and probably share the same thoughts. There were probably many questions that cause you to wonder, did they prepare for this? Do they know/ understand the content? Do they know the audience? Then there were some that you thought that was the best experience I've participated in a long time! 



As we continue to learn and advance in education, we want to know what's the best way for our students to learn and how do we make sure they are engaged and teaching remains effective? We attend many conferences and training sessions to ensure we are equipped with knowledge, skills and abilities to deliver instruction. Our expectation is to gather valuable information that we can use immediately and apply the information directly into our classrooms. When you are on the receiving end of training what do you consider as good effective training session?
Image result for instructional design
https://www.elearninglearning.com/instructional-design/


As a student in the instructional technology program, I've learned various ways to develop effective training through different models of design, such as the ADDIE Model. The ADDIE model, as the graphic shows, uses the process of analysis, design, develop, implement, and evaluate. Using this as a mode will allow curriculum develops to use good instructional design that will engage those who are being trained. Instructional Design, (ID), is "the systematic and reflective process of translating principles of learning and instruction into plans for instructional materials, activities, information resources, and evaluation" (Larson & Lockee, 2014, p.8). In learning this I realized that I have participated in many training that did not exhibit good instructional design.

I participated in a 2-day training session organized to provide professional development. It was a 2 day session of a 50 PowerPoint slide where the trainer read each slide! I literally slept for 2 days in those sessions. This is a perfect example of bad design and in learning about ID, I wonder if the creator considered the audience, delivery, design, etc. My hope is that I do not have to experience that again.

Another professional development opportunity I participated in was great. This 4 day session placed the participants in work groups and were given a project to complete each day, culminating on the 4th day. This included visiting the city together where the session was held, eating dinner, and enjoying entertainment. Although I know, every professional development is not design the same depending on where you go and what the training is about, I believe that they all can be design in a similar fashion, using an ID model.

As I continue to work and mold my mind around what type of training/ professional development I want to provide, I want to ensure that I am delivering good valuable content using good instructional design that will be remembered, applied and shared. Within my classroom, I tell my students that my mantra is that I want them to 'make a connection and apply it', and I want the same for those that I will develop and create training for. My desire is to create a professional development mentor/coach training that is beneficial to current and new instructors on campus. In reading the white paper, Learning environments in the workplace, it gives 9 characteristics of learning, 9 characteristics of learning, that can be used in helping to understand how to build effective learning in your place of work. I found this to be valuable information, along with using the ADDIE model and theory in ID as an informational guide to guide me as I continue to analyze and develop training for our instructors. My hope is to not ever create a 50 slide presentation to me audience!



References:

Larson, M.B., & Lockee, B.B. (2014). Streamlined ID, a practical guide to instructional design . New York, NY: Routledge.

Wedaman, D. (2014, February). Bridging the gap, building a learning environment in the workplace. Educause , (), . Retrieved from https://library.educause.edu/~/media/files/library/2014/2/eli3031-pdf.pdf












3 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    You made great points in your post. I have experiences just like yours with trainings and professional developments. As teachers our time is valuable and there isn’t much I hate more than sitting in a training where nothing is learned. There have been times when the information was great and needed but the design of the training made it impossible to learn anything. Knowing the audience and what the end results should be, I have learned, is the most important part of instructional design (Larson & Lockee, 2014). In the classroom teachers plan lessons based on their class and the information being presented. When designing instruction for teachers the same things should be considered.

    Larson, M. B., & Lockee, B. B. (2014). Streamlined ID: A practical guide to instructional design. New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so true! Nothing is worse than sitting and watching someone read a PowerPoint presentation to you!It does make you wonder if someone actually prepared to present, but is a terrible waste of time and resources when good money and opportunity was probably spent on that PD experience.Clearly, it is important to make continuous growth and reflection a part of our professional development design as well (Larson & Lockee, 2014).

    Larson, M. B., & Lockee, B. B. (2014). Streamlined ID: A practical guide to instructional design. New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    I’ve definitely been apart of more experiences that were a waste of my time. As a Career Tech teacher, I often feel that I am just thrown in any old session with general content teachers. Of course, those sessions are generally catered to them and their needs while I am left making my “to do list”. Larson & Lockee (2014) state that conflicting opinions on the purposes, needs & final deliverables are common so stakeholder expectations should be collected as early as possible to manage those expectations and obtain approval for the scope and results(pg. 25). Unfortunately, this is a fairly simple practice I’ve rarely seen. Implementing this definitely seems to be a positive solution to get everyone involved and on the same page.

    Larson, M. B., & Lockee, B. B. (2014). Streamlined ID: A practical guide to instructional design. New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.

    ReplyDelete